Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Shemeka

I had a very sad experience today while ministering on the streets of Elkhart. It was very hot so there weren’t many people out but while circling through the Marion & Harrison area I noticed a female looking at every car that passed. As I passed by she made eye contact with me and a little fake smile came over her face. I did what many do in that area and circled back around the block and parked and waited for her to come to my window. I call people that do that for sexual reasons “perverts”. Of course that was not my reason for doing this. A 27 year old mother of 3 little kids came to my window. I said “what’s up girl” then she said “you tell me”. I said “girl what is your name”? She said “Meka” and then she said “can I get in and share that air conditioning with you”? I stretched my hand out to her and said “I’m Pastor Terry”. Tears started to well up in her eyes. She had some knowledge of Jesus in her background. I told her that this is not the plan that Jesus had for her life and that she was letting the devil pimp her out. I told her that one of these guys could take her and abuse her then leave her out in a corn field for dead. I then asked her what habits were forcing her to sell her body to whoever wanted it. She told me as many do that crack was making her do this. She also used alcohol, marijuana or anything else to cover the pain that she had in her life. With three kids never had a man wanted to be a father. What had caused her to go to the streets and do what she does? I had to stop putting this together because I received a call from Shemeka. When I answered the phone she said “Pastor Terry, I have to get out of here and go home”. I asked what was going on and where she was at and she said that every since I talked to her (a couple hours earlier) that she had not been able to do anything. She just needed to go home. I told her to give me 20 or 30 minutes and I would be there. I immediately started thinking of who I could get to go with me and the ones that I tried were not available. I then prayed “Lord you know this situation, just guide me through it”. I then went and picked her up. She chose to sit in the back seat because Eileen was not with me which was good. We talked on the way to her sister’s apartment and she said that she wanted to meet with us and get her life on track. I prayed with her when we arrived at the apartment. We look forward to her call and hopefully helping her to get her life on track.

No comments: