Monday, February 11, 2008

One Word: AMAZING!!!!

Mardi Gras 2008 was such an amazing experience!!! This year was only my 2ND time down to the "BIG EASY". Pastor Lance and I had gone together back in 2006 right after Katrina and all the devastation. This time, it was totally different. When we went back in 2006 there was such a sense of desperation and need for HOPE that it seemed that no matter where we turned to minister - we were accepted. Not so in 2008.



This year as we prepared to return to New Orleans there seemed to be a sense that something was different. We didn't know what it was, but Pastor Lance and I could just knew that something was going to happen. He kept telling me that he felt that this year I would be the one to go - without him!! I strongly disagreed. I could not see me in that town under those circumstances without my husband! Never say never. When will this truly sink in? Well, it did come to pass and Cole (my son) and I were the only two from our family that made it. Go figure.



We started out by flying into Daytona where we worked with the music team and from there we traveled by bus and van for 12 hours over to New Orleans. What a trip it was! Once there we began to set up for a temporary stay at CELEBRATION CHURCH where we had cots to sleep on and clean, warm showers to clean up in and it was a great blessing. While we were there we began what seemed to be an amazing family reunion and all these RAVENS from around the country just began to descend upon the area and what a time we had!!!



Although I had not seen many of them for a good while , it was as if no time had passed! Like God had made time stand still until we saw one another once again. He is so gracious. However, time had passed and there was a lot to catch up on - and so we did. We talked and laughed and shared until the wee hours of the a.m. and then when we got up we started all over again. It was such a great time of refreshing!!



After two days at this location we transferred over to another place that was quite a bit smaller, but it had a kitchen facility and we all got a much better understanding of up what "up close and personal " really means. There were literally just curtains separating the men's room from the ladies. It was hysterical!! All the snoring and other noises - It definitely kept things interesting.



After we set up camp there we began our true mission for which we were there. It is all about SOULS!!! We set up our musical equipment and got our hearts and minds prepared with word and worship and we hit the streets! It was so exciting. There was, I believe, some 150 - 180 of us at our most highest numbers and it was a sight to behold when you heard us and saw us coming down the streets of New Orleans singing Amazing Grace...How Sweet The Sound... people would just stop and stare - and some would join us in song. It was the presence of the Lord coming to that city of darkness and people could not help but to take notice!



From Friday night to Monday it was non-stop ministry time with breaks only to sleep for a few hours and to shower and eat and then back out we went. So many souls and so little time. There were such great miracles taking place in so many lives. There was one man who had been deaf since birth and as Pastor Sam was praying for him his ear popped open and he began to repeat everything that he was praying and saying!! Why should we be so shocked? After all, He is God.



There was another man that rededicated his life who had been a missionary and had been called to serve in Vietnam and had fallen away because of the scars from that war. After we ministered to him he began to break down and weep and began to pray on his own and ask the Lord to be with him and to forgive him and to accept him back into his fold. He wanted to right the wrongs in his life and return to his God!!! And the list goes on and on!!!!!!!!!! Praise the name of the Lord....forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



When Monday morning rolled around and it was time for us to begin our journey home, I have to say it was a difficult thing to pull ourselves away from such a Godly atmosphere. You see, while I was there, away from my husband, the Lord made one thing VERY clear to me and it was this: He desires that, and in fact commands in His word that, I would have no other gods before Him. This means not my husband, not my children, not my parents, not my ministry, but that only He shall be my God and my source. This was a hard pill to swallow, yet it brought me a great amount of comfort and peace. I realize that God gave me my family and for this I am so truly thankful, but without Him I have absolutely nothing!!



This year was a mile marker in my life and one that I believe that the Lord ordained for such a time as this. He is never late, but always right on time. I thank God for the AMAZING time of ministry and Revelation and I pray that we may all have more moments like this in all of our lives. After all, they are what draw us unto the realization that "we must decrease so that He may increase".

No comments: